Saturday 21 April 2012

Incy Wincy Spider - My first friend in Mumbai

An incident that happened way back in 1994, the very first day I came to Bombay (now Mumbai) i.e. on 18th April.  Since I have nobody to my rescue to offer a shelter in this busy city I opted to sleep under a tree in front of the great historical monument "Gateway of India".  With loads of tension, awaiting a lot of surprises and ofcourse some big dreams I am finding hard to sleep on the famous foot-path of Mumbai where people commonly say half the Mumbai sleeps on footpath. Somehow I felt proud for being one of the so-called "half the Mumbai" crowd. But truth is truth, I am not comfortable sleeping on the rough rock footpath.  Its almost 1 O'clock in the midnight, my fellow foot-pathers already slipped into their deep sleep probably after the day's hard-work. With a thankful look I am looking at the 'Tree' which gave me shelter in this unknown city of dreams. Suddenly a tiny thing attracted my attention and that's technically my first friend in Mumbai which made me feel comfortable on the Mumbai roads or it made me forget the trouble sleeping on the foot-path. Its none other than a colorful spider in a golden yellow green body and black legs slowly slipping downwards leaving behind its spider thread of which it makes the web. With lot of interest and attraction I was looking at it and thought it would land on me, but suddenly it stopped at an inch's gap from me and started climbing up again. It happened almost 3-4 times. In the meanwhile I was unaware, when I slept and woke up with a sound of the broom which the BMC guy dragging very unwillingly and shouted at me ... 'ye chal uth' and typical annoyance with a tinge of arrogance and irritation murmuring 'pata nhi kahan kahan se aa jaye hai'.  I smiled at him and thought 'what a warm welcome'.  This incident remembered me the nursery poem which I used to read in my sisters book "Incy Wincy Spider". Life is full of unexpected surprises, but only when we have guts to enjoy them.


Keep visiting for more surprising incidents.

Love
Ramesh

1 comment:

  1. Came back yesterday and saw your blog. Nice but needs some fine tuning.will discuss about it later.Wishing you the best always.

    ReplyDelete